Monday, February 21, 2011

Minnesota

One of the greatest things about Minnesota is the change of seasons. I also find humor in the unpredictable weather we seem to always have. It can be 50 and sunny one day and 20 and snowing the next. Change is a good thing and you certainly get it here.

Last week we had high temperatures in the 40's. It was so great! I can finally see over the snow banks on the roads to make sure cars aren't coming whereas a couple weeks ago I just had to hope nobody was coming as I pulled out onto a street. I love the signs of Spring on the way. Snow melting, birds chirping, happier people, etc.

Well all of that changed in a matter of 24 hours when we got 16 inches of snow yesterday! Corey and I were at a friend's cabin on Leech Lake this past weekend. We left early which was a good decision because we didn't hit any bad roads until we were almost home. I was home at 2pm yesterday and didn't leave my house again!

More often than not I get really upset when we have a huge snowfall. However, today being President's Day, I have the day off! Hopefully the roads are all cleared up before tomorrow's commute to work. This winter I have had many bad drives to and from work. The record was just under 3 hours it took me to get home when it normally takes me 45-55 minutes (30 minutes with no traffic). Needless to say, I am excited to move in with Corey before next winter- somewhere closer to work.

Back to the cabin weekend. There were 15 of us at Lauren's cabin. On top of that-- 5 dogs. I LOVED it!! Five dogs of different breeds and ages. I love Jer and Sarah's dog-- an Old English Mastiff- Bella who is 115 pounds. She towered over the other dogs- Lauren's is the next biggest- a black lab named Millie. I am realizing that I like big dogs much more than little dogs. After living with Luka, a 100 pound German Shepherd, for a school year and spending the weekend playing with Bella, I have decided I would want a big dog. We had a great time at the cabin- ice fishing, small town bars (in which the locals liked to call our group 'cidiots'), a keg of ice cold beer, good food and lots of laughs!

I always love getting away for a weekend and having fun! By Sunday, though, we were excited to get home to shower and sleep in our own beds. My mom has a saying on the wall in the kitchen that says "The best journey always takes us home." It is so true. I enjoy getting away, but I LOVE coming home.

Time to get up and enjoy my day off!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment